April 26, 2022at 7:00pm
Chances Rim Rock Casino
4890 Cherry Creek Road, Port Alberni
Be it Resolved, by Special Resolution, that the Bylaws of the Alberni Valley Hospice Society be repealed and be replaced with the attached Bylaws.
The new BC Societies Act came into effect November 28, 2016. All Societies in BC had two years to transition to the new Act (by November 28, 2018).
The Societies Amendment Act 2021 amends the Societies Act that came into force in 2016.
The new Act provides Societies with a responsive legislative framework, giving them greater adaptability in their internal governance, while ensuring transparency and accountability. It is also more user friendly and increases flexibility.
For more information go to www.2.gov.bc.ca
Why did the Board of Directors facilitate a review of the Bylaws?
A review of the Alberni Valley Hospice Society’s Bylaws was conducted by the Governance Group in early 2022 and was further reviewed by legal entity to ensure that our Bylaws were in compliance with the updated “ACT.”
Why was it important to address noted changes to the “ACT”?
• Changes ensure that the updated AVHS Bylaws align more consistently to the Societies “ACT”;
• The revised “ACT” includes the introduction of standards that are “best practice” in organizational governance;
• Changes ensure that areas of risk are appropriately addressed;
• A process for nomination of Directors was introduced;
• Changes defined the number of directors required and the expectations and duties of those directors in fulfilling their roles;
• The process for the election by members and the rights of members is clarified.
What is the Process at the Extraordinary General Meeting?
• Special Business, brought forward, for consideration by the report of directors issued with the notice convening the meeting requiring a Special Resolution, is the only business introduced at an Extraordinary General Meeting;
• A resolution proposed need not be seconded and the Chairperson may move or propose a resolution;
• The Quorum will be 10 members present;
• A 2/3 thresh-hold will carry the vote
For a copy of the current and proposed bylaws, please contact our office.